Splitting viewers during its original 1999 – 2003 run into those who loved its futuristic spin on the present and others who looked upon it as the weedier younger sibling of TV behemoth The Simpsons, Futurama’s cancellation wasn’t the series end.
The announcement that the series would returning via four feature length, direct-to-DVD, instalments was met with general enthusiasm, the idea that deceased series could live again on shiny disc an encouraging one for fans.
Into the Wild Green Yonder is the final adventure in Futurama’s new lease of life, a story of love, leeches and mind reading that sees the Planet Express crew go eco-friendly as the universe stands on the brink of extinction.
For the fans this should be a welcome return for their heroes, though even they might be struggling to maintain interest in the weak plot. The need to make the story feel ‘epic’ has resulted in the main cast being given their own stories that in themselves just aren’t that interesting, favourites such as Bender reduced to a minor player.
Sadly the feminist storyline, by far the weakest, gets the lions share of screen time, though Katey Sagal is as good as ever as Leela.
Failing to as an entirely cohesive film, Yonder’s success instead rests on viewers familiarity with the characters and hopefully this will be enough to justify their time spent with it. Everyone else would simply be better off searching out the complete series boxset to see what the fuss was about a few years ago.
DVD Special Features
- Audio Commentary by Matt Groening, David X. Cohen, John DiMaggio, Maurice LaMarche, Michael Rowe, Lee Supercinski, Patric M. Verrone and Peter Avanzino
- Storyboard Animatic: Into the Wild Green Yonder, Part 1
- Featurette: Matt Groening and David X. Cohen in Space!
- Docudramarama: “How We Make Futurama So Good”
- “Louder! Louder!”: The Acting Technique of Penn Jillette
- Golden Stinkers: A Treasury of Deleted Scenes
- How To Draw Futurama In 10 Very Difficult Steps
- 3D Models with Animator Discussion
- Bender’s Movie Theater Etiquette
- Zapp Brannigan’s Guide to Making Love at a Woman
- And Easter Eggs…
Release date: 23 February